ELENA OJEA, PhD
ERC Starting Grantee
Elena Ojea is a senior researcher at the University of Vigo currently leading the project CLOCK: Climate Adaptation to shifting stocks, funded by the European Research Council with an ERC Starting Grant. Elena holds an undergrad in Environmental Sciences and a PhD in Economics, and has experience as a post-doc and research fellow at the Basque Centre for Climate Change (BC3). She was a visiting researcher at the Bren School for Environmental Science and Policy (USA) during 2013, continuing visiting over the following years. There she joined the sustainable fisheries group and had the chance to work with experts at UCSB on the set of solutions for sustainable fishery management in many systems that are implemented around the world. To continue this work, Elena joined the University of Vigo in the summer of 2016 and launched the Future Oceans Lab, a Vigo-based research group on marine systems and climate change. She will also be involved in the next IPCC Assessment Report (6AR) as Leading Author for WGII Oceans chapter.
- Hossain, Mostafa A.R., Munir Ahmed, Elena Ojea, Jose A. Fernandes. 2018. Impacts and responses to environmental change in coastal livelihoods of south-west Bangladesh. Science of the Total Environment, 637-638, 954–970.
- Laetitia Pettinotti, Amaia de Ayala, Elena Ojea. (2018). Benefits From Water Related Ecosystem Services in Africa and Climate Change. Ecological Economics, 149, 294-305.
- Luis Outeiro, Elena Ojea, João Garcia Rodrigues, Himes-Cornell, A., Belgrano, A., Liu, Y., Edna Cabecina, Cristina Pita, Gonzalo Macho and Sebastin Villasante. 2017. The role of non-natural capital in the co-production of marine ecosystem servicesand resilience to climate change. International Journal of Biodiversity Science, Ecosystem Services & Management, 13(3): 35-50.
- Elena Ojea, Isaac Pearlman, Steve D. Gaines, Sarah E. Lester, 2017. Fisheries regulatory regimes and resilience to climate change. Ambio, 1-14.
- Marta Pascual Altares, Marisa Rossetto, Elena Ojea, Nataliya Milchakova, Sylvaine. 2016. Socioeconomic impacts of marine protected areas in the Mediterranean and Black Seas. Ocean & Coastal Management 133, 1–10.
- Elena Ojea, Maria L. Loureiro, Maria Alló and Melina Barrio, 2016. Ecosystem services and REDD: estimating the benefits of non-carbon services in worldwide forests. World Development 78, 246-261.
- Elena Ojea, Challenges for mainstreaming Ecosystem-based Adaptation into the international climate agenda, 2015. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability, 14, 41-48.