ELENA OJEA, PhD
Elena Ojea is a senior researcher at CIM-University of Vigo currently leading the project CLOCK: Climate Adaptation to shifting stocks, funded by the European Research Council with an ERC Starting Grant. Elena holds an undergrad in Environmental Sciences and a PhD in Economics, and has experience as a post-doc and research fellow at the Basque Centre for Climate Change (BC3). She was a visiting researcher at the Bren School for Environmental Science and Policy (USA) during 2013, continuing visiting over the following years. There she joined the sustainable fisheries group and had the chance to work with experts at UCSB on the set of solutions for sustainable fishery management in many systems that are implemented around the world. To continue this work, Elena joined the University of Vigo in the summer of 2016 and launched the Future Oceans Lab, a Vigo-based research group on marine systems and climate change. She is also be involved in the next IPCC Assessment Report (6AR) as Leading Author for WGII Oceans chapter.
- Research priorities for seafood dependent livelihoods under ocean climate change extreme events. Elena Ojea, Xochitl E. Ilosvay; Diego Salgueiro-Otero; Iratxe Rubio; Alex N Tidd; Smit V Caballero; Juan Bueno Pardo; Alba Aguión; Francesca Barazzetta; MJ Ameneiro Riballo. 2023. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability, 101264.
- The Role of Catch Portfolios in Characterizing Species’ Economic Linkages and Fishers’ Responses to Climate Change Impacts. SV Caballero, D Salgueiro-Otero, E Ojea. 2022. Ecological Economics 205, 107726.
- Oceans and coastal ecosystems and their services. Cooley, S., Schoeman, D., Bopp, L., Boyd, P., Donner, S., Ito, S.I., Kiessling, W., Martinetto, P., Ojea, E., Racault, M.F. and Rost, B., 2022. In IPCC AR6 WGII. Cambridge University Press.
- Stronger adaptive response among small-scale fishers experiencing greater climate change hazard exposure. Ilosvay, Xochitl Édua Elías, Jorge García Molinos, and Elena Ojea.Communications Earth & Environment 246 (2022): 1-9.
- Climate adaptation pathways and the role of social-ecological networks in small-scale fisheries.Salgueiro-Otero, Diego, Michele L. Barnes, and Elena Ojea. Scientific Reports 12.1 (2022): 1-13.
- Identifying policy approaches to build social–ecological resilience in marine fisheries with differing capacities and contexts. Kristin M Kleisner, Elena Ojea, Willow Battista, […] Alice Thomas-Smyth (12/2). 2021. ICES Journal of Marine Science. fsab080, https://doi.org/10.1093/icesjms/fsab080
- Social connectivity and adaptive capacity strategies in large-scale fisheries. Iratxe Rubio, Jacob Hileman and Elena Ojea. 2021. Ecology and Society 26(2):42.
- Expanding ocean food production under climate change. Christopher M. Free, Reniel B. Cabral, Halley E. Froehlich, Willow Battista, Elena Ojea, Erin O’Reilly, […], Steven D. Gaines (14/5). 2022. Nature.
- Food security challenged by declining efficiencies of artisanal fishing fleets: a global country-level analysis. Alexander Tidd; Yannick Rousseau, Elena Ojea, Reg A. Watson, Julia L Blanchard. 2022. Global Food Security, 32, 100598
- Conservation-Status Gaps for Marine Top-Fished Commercial Species. Imanol Miqueleiz, Rafael Miranda, Arturo Hugo Ariño, Elena Ojea. 2022. Fishes 7 (1), 2.
- Assessing countries’ social-ecological resilience to shifting marine commercial species. Elena Ojea, Elena Fontán, Isabel Fuentes-Santos, and Juan Bueno-Pardo. Sci Rep 11, 22926 (2021).
- Establishing a governance threshold in small-scale fisheries to achieve sustainability. Alba Aguión, Elena Ojea, Lucía García-Flórez, […] Gonzalo Macho (10/2). 2021. AMBIO. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13280-021-01606-x
- Skippers’ preferred adaptation and transformation responses to catch declines in a large-scale tuna fishery. Iratxe Rubio, Alistair Hobday and Elena Ojea. 2021. ICES Journal of Marine Science, doi:10.1093/icesjms/fsab065.
- A better understanding of social-ecological systems is needed for adapting fisheries to climate change. Diego Salgueiro-Otero and Elena Ojea. 2020. Marine Policy, 104123.
- Social-ecological vulnerability to climate change in small-scale fisheries managed under spatial property rights systems. Raquel Ruiz-Díaz, Xiaozi Liu, Alba Aguión, Gonzalo Macho, Maite deCastro, Moncho Gómez-Gesteira, Elena Ojea. 2020. Marine Policy, in press.
- The future of food from the sea. Christopher Costello, Ling Cao, Stefan Gelcich, Miguel Á. Cisneros-Mata, Christopher M. Free, Halley E. Froehlich, Christopher D. Golden, Gakushi Ishimura, Jason Maier, Ilan Macadam-Somer, Tracey Mangin, Michael C. Melnychuk, Masanori Miyahara, Carryn L. de Moor, Rosamond Naylor, Linda Nøstbakken, Elena Ojea, Erin O’Reilly, Ana M. Parma, Andrew J. Plantinga, Shakuntala H. Thilsted & Jane Lubchenco. 2020. Nature, 19 August 2020.
- Adaptation of Fishing Communities to Climate-Driven Shifts in Target Species. Elena Ojea, Sarah Lester, Diego Salgueiro-Otero, 2020. OneEarth.
- Realistic fisheries management reforms could mitigate the impacts of climate change in most countries. Christopher M. Free, Tracey Mangin, Jorge García Molinos, Elena Ojea, Merrick Burden, Christopher Costello, Steven D. Gaines, 2020. PLOS ONE, in press .
- Strategically designed marine reserve networks are robust to climate change driven shifts in population connectivity. A. Rassweiler, E. Ojea, C. Costello. 2020. . Environmental Research Letters, in press.
- Southward redistribution of tropical tuna fisheries activity can be explained by technological and management change. Iratxe Rubio, Unai Ganzedo, Alistair J. Hobday and Elena Ojea. 2020. Fish and Fisheries, in press.
- Sovereign states in the Caribbean have lower social-ecological vulnerability to coral bleaching than overseas territories. K.J. Siegel, R.B. Cabral, J. McHenry, E. Ojea, B. Owashi and S.E. Lester. 2019. Proceedings of the Royal Society B, 20 February 2019.
- Impacts and responses to environmental change in coastal livelihoods of south-west Bangladesh. Hossain, Mostafa A.R., Munir Ahmed, Elena Ojea, Jose A. Fernandes. 2018. Science of the Total Environment, 637-638, 954–970.
- Fisheries regulatory regimes and resilience to climate change. Elena Ojea, Isaac Pearlman, Steve D. Gaines, Sarah E. Lester. 2017. Ambio, 1-14.
- Challenges for mainstreaming Ecosystem-based Adaptation into the international climate agenda. Elena Ojea, 2015. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability, 14, 41-48.